ITALIAN SAUSAGE SUB
● 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands
● 3 garlic cloves, minced
● 3 tablespoons olive oil
● Salt, to taste
● 1 tablespoon vegan butter
● Hoagie buns
● Vegan butter, melted
● Parsley, roughly chopped
● Plant Provisions Italian Sausage
● Olive oil
● Vegan mozzarella, optional
● Extra parsley, for garnish
1. Make your marinara sauce. To a pan with high sides or a pot, add whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with your hands right into the pot. Add minced garlic, olive oil, and a five finger pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced by about ⅓, this will take about 20 minutes. Once reduced, stir in the vegan butter. Remove from heat and let cool before adding it to your sub.
2. Toast your buns. In a bowl, stir together the melted vegan butter and the parsley. Using a basting brush, brush both sides of the buns with the butter mixture. Broil for 1-2 minutes, until toasted. Set aside.
3. Sear your sausages. Put a large skillet over medium heat with 2 TBSP of olive oil. When hot, add the sausages to the pan, then sear until browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes, rotating to cook evenly.
4. Make the hoagies. Add the seared sausages and marinara sauce to the parsley butter buns. Add vegan mozzarella if desired, and garnish with extra parsley